Adding links from your post or page to another post, blog or website is normal common practice i.e. you don’t re-type information that is already formatted and available somewhere else. This by-passes problems like copyright etc.
To add links to your WordPress post follow the process shown below.
- A link has to be associated with a word, phase or sentence. Therefore select / highlight the chosen part.
- The ‘insert link’ icon now becomes available after being grayed out.
- The insert link dialogue box opens up and grays out the rest of the screen.
- Type in the URL / address to the post, blog or website that you want to reader to go to.
- Target. Select ‘Open in a New Window”. This keeps your blog open therefore encouraging the visitor to read your work further.
- Give the link a title. This is good for the search engines.
- Hit the insert button.
- The selected word will now have a link ‘behind’ it; this is shown by the change in font colour and the underling of the link.
A) This process works from the visual editing tab. The same can be done using the HTML tab for webmasters who want to work with code more directly.
B) The Permalink is the URL / address of this EXACT post contained within your blog. The permalink is underlined above.
Each post has its own unique permalink address that gets automatically generated out of the post title (the edit button next to it allows you to change / edit this suggested name). This is the address you would use in another post if you wanted that post to navigate to this post 🙂